Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Belt up, Canadian

Some of my American friends and I were sitting in class today and got reamed by a Canadian. She came up to us and said: ‘hey, will you guys be at the Student Union watching the election?’ We all gave a responded with a resounding ‘no’. We told her that the last place in the world a bunch of Americans would want to be during an election is with a bunch of drunk European people. We also explained to her that the earliest polls do not close until midnight here. This means that the absolute earliest time we can get results is 1.00 in the morning. Why wouldn’t we just wake up early and get the results instead, we asked. The Canadian then proceeded to say how horrible we are for not caring about the election and that we arrogant Americans should be ashamed of ourselves. She told us how pathetic is it that Europeans (and Canadians) are more concerned with the American election that we are.

I’m sorry, I just wanted to share this story because it makes me really frustrated and I don’t think I have really articulated that. What makes me mad is that for some reason Europeans seem to think they are better than Americans and that they are more cosmopolitan than we are. Anyway, Canada should just settle down and go back to being our hat and Europe should stop feeling inadequate. It’s not our fault.

Ps. What’s the deal with robocalls?

Later days,

No comments:

About Me

The shrewdest and wickedest social commentator of the early eighteenth century.